HomeTechnical Support » General Questions

Anything Else

PrintBoss NT40 vs PrintBoss 50 driver Messages in this topic - RSS

Nancy
Administrator

5/26/2011
Nancy
Administrator
Which PrintBoss printer driver should I use?
If you have been using the PrintBoss NT40 printer driver successfully, in most cases there is no reason to change to the PrintBoss 50 driver.

However, you should use the PrintBoss 50 driver under the following circumstances:
• If this is a new install on a Windows 2003 or 2008 terminal server or Vista and Windows 7 on a work station.
• If you have Enterprise edition of PrintBoss and want to send graphics from your accounting system through PrintBoss.
• If you’re using QuickBooks Online.

I’ve upgraded my PrintBoss to v.5.0 (or above). Shouldn’t I use the PrintBoss 50 driver?
Not necessarily. The PrintBoss 50 driver will work if you install it. However, you may want to continue using the PrintBoss NT40 driver if this driver is specifically setup with your accounting system or to avoid confusion for users.

I’m installing PrintBoss for the first time. Should I select the PrintBoss 50 driver?
The PrintBoss PB50 printer driver installs by default beginning with version 5.6. Prior to version 5.6, PrintBoss will install the printer appropriate for your computer with the default set as NT40 if there is no preference.

What are the differences between these two printer drivers?
The PrintBoss NT40 driver will be automatically strip out all graphics and only send text to PrintBoss. This “raw data” is then formatted and graphic images (such as grids, logos and digital signatures) are added through the PrintBoss form. The final product is then sent to a Laser Jet printer.

The PrintBoss NT40 is a kernel-mode printer driver. However, the default settings for a Windows 2003 server do not allow the installation of a kernel-mode driver. These default “group policy” settings must be changed to allow installation of a kernel-mode printer such as the PrintBoss NT40 printer driver.

Before the PrintBoss 50 driver was released, users had to adjust this “group policy” default setting to allow the installation of the PrintBoss NT40 driver on a 2003 server. Now 2003 users can install the PrintBoss 50 driver and avoid this problem.
edited by Nancy on 7/5/2012
0 link